How to make meditation a habit
As part of my mission this month to help you feel naturally vibrant every day, today I thought I'd share some tips on something I get asked a LOT.... How to make meditation a habit? I've been meditating for longer than I can remember, and once you find a few mins a day and a routine that works for you, I can't tell you the difference it makes in so many ways and it certainly helps me feel my most vibrant self. So here goes... a few ideas on how you might be able to make it work for you.
- Start with just a few minutes a day... Begin by adding in just a few minutes of meditation into your daily routine. This could be in the morning when you wake up, during a break at work, or before bed. I always do before bed as any other time of the day is too crazy in my house!
- Find a quiet and comfortable space... Choose a quiet and comfortable space where you can sit or lie down without being disturbed. This could be a corner of your bedroom, a peaceful park, or even a meditation room in your home. (I love mine!)
- Set a regular schedule... Try to meditate at the same time each day, whether it's first thing in the morning, during your lunch break, or in the evening. This will help you form a habit and make it easier to stick to your routine, I also put it in my calendar which really makes me do it every day.
- Use guided meditation... If you're new to meditation, consider using guided meditation apps or recordings to help you focus and stay on track. These can provide soothing music, calming voice-overs, and specific meditation techniques to follow. I love Michael Sealey or Sleep Cove.
- Focus on your breath... One of the simplest and most effective forms of meditation is to focus on your breath. Close your eyes and take deep, slow breaths, paying attention to the sensations of inhalation and exhalation. Make your exhalation longer than your inhalation.
- Be patient and consistent... Like any new habit, adding meditation into your probably already busy daily routine takes time and patience. Be consistent and don't get discouraged if you find it challenging at first. You’ll get there with it, with practice.
- Make it a priority... Treat meditation as a non-negotiable part of your day, just like eating or sleeping. Prioritise this time for yourself and your mental well-being. You totally deserve it!
Remember that the key to success with meditation is consistency and practice. Over time, you may find that it becomes easier and more natural to add meditation into your daily routine. I hope you end up valuing it as much as I do.